This story still has my head spinning with disbelief. On one hand I'm happy to know something but also sad to know it. Weird feeling, mysteries can be funny that way.
I am one of those knuckleheads who wants to wander the desert looking for the 'Nemo' inscription and I know I can still do that, but it all seems different now. Even though the story of Everett's demise has a lot of holes in it some of the mystery still exists, but not the more intriguing parts. Not the 'where is he?' and 'what if?' parts, basically all the good parts of the legend were taken away by the discovery of some brittle bones and teeth fragments. I guess I can live with the newly discovered information and all the new questions it raises, but the part that bugs me the most is picturing his remains on some sterile examining room table. Finding him is one thing but then taking him out of the desert is quite another. For some naive reason I was foolish to think that if one day someone did find him that they wouldn't collect him up to be taken to some far away lab. That they would leave him alone, leave him where he wanted to be. That was wishful thinking as this story is way bigger than that. Obviously I don't know the man but I think its a safe bet to assume he would hate this. I curiously await to learn of his final resting place.
http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2009/04/everett-ruess/david-roberts-text
http://www.kensandersbooks.com/news_story_2009_05_05.php
UPDATE: 10/22/2009
Forget everything I said earlier :)
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13611950#
No comments:
Post a Comment