Sunday, October 25, 2009

Take Back the Clap

Applause, generally speaking it is a form of approval. Spontaneous applause however goes beyond being polite, it shows how we really feel. Expressing ourselves through unplanned cheering reveals a lot and that isn't always a good thing.

Shameful Applause #1
I watch NFL football in bars just about every week. Every time a referee gets blown up by a player the reaction in the bar is always the same, laughter and cheering. I'm guilty, I laugh, I point, I make sure my friends see it too. The networks get in on it by showing the replay over and over. But why? Why is this funny? Why is is this worthy of applause? The refs aren't wearing pads or helmets, when they get rolled it is nothing short of painful. It is no different than me streaking across the field in my fan gear and getting blindsided by an NFL player at full speed, ouch. By the way in the rare occurrence when a drunkard takes the field and eventually gets corralled by a player or security guard, the applause-o-meter is off the charts. However that may fall under a different heading, something in line with 'drunk people do stupid things, but its ok because it makes us laugh'. Anyway, the average age of these officials is like 50 years old, the fact that they can even run the length of the field and keep up with world class athletes is amazing. It's unbelievable that these gray haired men can keep pace with an NFL game, yet we laugh, we poke fun, we want to see them get crushed again and again. I don't get it, what we should applaud them for is not having a heart attack after every 99 yard kick return.




Refs aren't even safe in video games






Shameful, Now We're Just Embarrassing Ourselves, Applause #2
Concerts make people do weird things. For instance breaking into raucous cheering when the lead singer addresses the host city by name. Basically we are applauding because he knows what town he is in. We do all know that they do this in each and every city they perform, right? I know I'm aware of it but that doesn't stop me from screaming like a teenager. For whatever reason as a group we feel so honored and so special when they tell us they are so happy to be rocking in _________. We fall for it hook, line and sinker, we convince ourselves that this band loves us more than any other city on the tour. This band would not betray us and say the same thing at another gig, in another city, that's just not happening. We won't accept the truth; that near the mic there is a piece of duct tape with our cities name taped to the floor. Ah, no way, we're special and if you wanna hear us really go nuts mention something specific to our town, that sends the masses into a howling frenzy. Even if we do know that the concert is scripted and that we are no different then some cheesy pick up line in a bar at closing time, "I bet you say this to all the (girls) cities on tour!" it doesn't matter. We still think they like us best. Concerts seem to bring out our inner, naive, I'll believe everything you say to me, school girl. Never has being so stupid made us feel so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment